When we understand that God’s Word addresses every aspect of life and godliness, then we shouldn’t be surprised to find so many wonderful Bible verses that reveal God’s perspective on food issues. These truths are essential for us to think rightly, to direct us toward righteousness, and to warn and convict us when we are tempted to sin. Here are my Top 5 Bible verses about food, along with some thought-provoking questions to help us consider what God is saying and how we can apply His truth to our lives.
Jeremiah 15:16 – “Your words were found and I ate them, and Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I have been called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.”
- When I am looking for nourishment, energy, comfort, encouragement – in other words, for satisfaction and delight – do I turn to God’s Word or run to my refrigerator?
- How can I find and eat God’s Word so that it becomes a joy and delight?
1 Peter 2:2 – “like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,”
- Do I long for God’s Word? What can I do to cultivate that longing?
- Am I growing in respect to salvation because I am feasting on God’s Word?
Matthew 6:25, 31-33 – “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?…Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
- How much time do I spend every day worrying about food?
- How much time do I spend every day seeking God’s kingdom and righteousness?
1 Timothy 4:1-5 – “But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.”
- Have I followed worldly advice of fad diets to abstain from certain foods?
- What does it mean to reject nothing but receive it with gratitude?
1 Corinthians 10:31 – “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
- How can I eat this food right now to God’s glory?
- Or can I better glorify God by not eating this food right now?
I can think of many more Bible verses that address food issues, can you? Give me your suggestions of Bible verses in the comments below, or if you’re really brave, please share your answers to the some of the application questions from today’s verses.